Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Mamaw Gillette


Working with my cousins on our family history just warms my heart. This picture of my Mamaw Gillette was in my mom's room. She told me once that her mom worked up at the school, and this was the school picture they took of her. I just love the smile on her face. Maybe after having 11 children and working the farm, a few hours working at the school house was liberating....even if it was feeding more children. I remember when a bunch of us went "frog giging" one night and we woke her up to show her our catch. She decided to cook frog legs for us at 10:00 at night, after she had already been in bed. Only a Mamaw would do that .... Sweet !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3 i recognise that smile - worn by my mamaw.

Nolichucky said...

I wish it was in color. Never did see her RED hair. Nice lady, but I'm a bit partial. My MAmaw too!