Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day


I have our dad's dog tags, they were in his jewelry box tucked away with his Mason rings. They are pretty cool to look at, even the "tooth" notch. If you knew my dad it was a pretty big notch ! He wouldn't talk about WWII much but mom said he would yell out in his sleep "incoming". He did tell us about them shooting down a Japanese aircraft, everyone got a piece of the life raft the pilot used, I have that to.
I have heard a few stories about my brother-in-law Merle serving in Vietnam as a medic. His nightmares about intruders.
Uncle Malone would get us kids to pass out Poppies for donations on Veterans Day, he himself a disabled Veteran.
I have read and followed the accounts of several men that have given their lives in the current war abroad. It makes me sad, but there will be wars and rumors of wars..
I know this poster is from 2005, but it made Veterans day personal for me. Not a flag, not a Eagle, not a gun. My dad, my brother-in-law, my uncles, my father-in-law....their names engraved on a tag, with at tooth notch in it.
Thank you for your service, everyone !

1 comment:

Lauren Deneil said...

i agree with ya momma.
and thank you to every person who
has fought for our country's freedom.
as i quote a country song:
"i thank God for my life, for the stars and stripes, may freedom forever fly, and let it reign- salute the ones who died, the ones that gives their lives, so we don't have to sacrifice all the things we love" (Zac Brown Band)

That's the best way to put it =)