Monday, October 25, 2010

Listening, Hearing, Feeling God

I have read countless articles about hearing from God, how to listen for him. Some of them say we have to be open and willing to hear from him. Lately I have done my best to really listen but what I have encountered instead is a feeling or a nudge. This has happen to me more than once but let me tell you about this recent event.

At my church the pastor reads from the New International Version of the bible. Several months ago I purchased a slightly larger print NIV so I didn't have to wear my glasses to read it. It was great, I used it all the time. I don't remember what I was doing but I had a distinct feeling I was to give my best friend this bible. It wasn't a voice but it was "Give her your bible". My first reaction was....I love this bible, I don't want to give it away. If you know me, you know how many bible are in my house. I have four family generations of bibles standing side by side in my room. Plus I said, "Lord what is she going to think if I just walk up and give her a bible and say God told me to"? I just knew it was meant to be, somehow.

I knew my friend was going to a small group bible study and we were talking about how hard it was to juggle work, family and small group. She said it was even harder because she didn't know the bible well and she didn't have one she understood very well. Needless to say the next day I took my NIV bible to her and said "Why don't you use this one, I have so many even my Mom's since she passed away" She said, "Are you sure"? I just smiled and said yes, thinking I had listened to God and done what he wanted me to.

Time passed nothing more was said, I bought another slightly larger print NIV bible to use. One Monday morning my friend told me about some health issues her son had unexpectedly had over the weekend. This involved a depression type of issue and she was upset, I felt so sad and prayed for him. Over the course of the next month, with help, her son was better but not feeling very happy. She was thinking of things to keep him active and to boost his spirits. She found out there was a singles small group at her church and encouraged him to attend. Soon afterward we were talking about the situation and she said, " My son said he would go to the singles small group, so I gave him the bible you gave me and told him is was easier to understand so take it with him"

I was speechless.....there it was as clear as day! If I had not listened for, followed the feeling, of what I had heard, that bible would have never made it into her son's hands when he needed it the most. I am humbled and listening.....

2 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

...I have encountered instead is a feeling or a nudge.

I know exactly what you mean, not that it happens with everything but if I am quite and I clear my head I can sometimes feel the path that I should take.

Hope that doesn't sound too "New Age" but it generally works.

Teresa said...

Beach, I'm a Christian and try to lead by example instead of beating someone over the head with the Gospel. In instances like this, I just have give the credit where I believe it belongs. I would say, it's not New Age because he's been around for a long time !