
This picture is the essence of life for me. As a child I had to be outside playing all the time, a tomboy at best. My mom use to say my "legs would run all night" while I was sleeping. Charleston had my friends to play games outside but Tennessee had my soul with wide open spaces and freedom. My cousins and I could leave the house with no time limits except dinner and dark. Then there was riding horses. Saddle them up, go through a gate and ride until you had to come back. The feeling of togetherness with a horse, I can't explain you just have to experience it. I long to be around one even to this day. Something else intrigues me about this picture. Think about how many generations of people have looked out over these mountains. Did Cherokee Indians stand there, before me, looking over the mountains or settlers finding there way to a new land? The Blue Ridge Parkway is 75 years old this year, how many people have stopped at a look out just to take it all in? Will future generations have the luxury? With the tragedy in the Gulf, hurricanes, fires and earthquakes what will be left if we don't take care of our environment? A good friend and I had a conversation about loving the nature and how being office workers made us cranky. We were on a boat at the time in the Charleston Harbor and looking over the water gave us a calming feeling. He said we needed a Vista to look at and I whole hardly agreed! I haven't forgotten that statement and if you ask my husband what I'm looking for in retirement he will tell you a Vista. I am always looking for something beautiful in nature, weather it's mountains, water or starry nights....it calms my soul. How about you?
1 comment:
I am always looking for something beautiful in nature, weather it's mountains, water or starry nights....it calms my soul. How about you?
Not surprisingly its the ocean for me, especially if I can find some semi-isolated spot like Huntington Beach State park just south of Murrells Inlet. My daughter and I were ther last year during the summer and we found a spoy with some distance between us and the few other people there and I loved not hearing any man-made sounds. The only sounds were the wind, the ocean, and a few birds.
Post a Comment